Key Lime Pie for Summer!
Perhaps the best pie for summer is the Key Lime Pie. Here is a recipe for you to try. Remember, true key lime pie is either white or pale yellow, not green. You can either make the meringue for the top or not….suit yourself and ENJOY!
Graham-Cracker Crust for KEY LIME PIE
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/4 cup(s) (12 crackers) graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) canola oil
- 1 can(s) (14-ounce) nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup(s) low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoon(s) freshly grated lime zest, preferably Key lime
- 1/2 cup(s) (4-5 limes) fresh lime juice, preferably Key lime
- 2 tablespoon(s) water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoon(s) dried egg whites (see Tips & Techniques), reconstituted according to package directions
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- Lime slices for garnish
Directions KEY LIME PIE
- To prepare crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Place graham cracker crumbs, butter, egg white and oil in a medium bowl. Blend with your fingertips until thoroughly combined. Press the mixture in an even layer on the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling: Whisk condensed milk, yogurt, lime zest, and juice in a medium bowl. Stir water and gelatin in a small heatproof cup or bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on high until the gelatin has completely dissolved but the liquid is not boiling, 20 to 30 seconds. (Alternatively, bring 1/2 inch water to a gentle simmer in a small skillet. Set the bowl with the gelatin mixture in the simmering water until the gelatin has dissolved completely.) Stir the gelatin mixture, then whisk into the lime mixture. Set that bowl over a larger bowl of ice water, stirring occasionally, until it begins to thicken, 15 to 20 minutes. Scrape the filling into the pie shell and refrigerate until chilled and set, at least 4 hours and up to 1 day.
- To prepare meringue and finish pie: Position oven rack about 6 inches below the broiler; preheat broiler.
- Beat reconstituted egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and continue mixing until the egg whites are glossy and hold stiff peaks. Blend in vanilla.
- Spread the meringue over the top of the pie, sealing to the edge of the crust and decoratively swirling on top. Broil (leaving the oven door ajar and watching very carefully to prevent burning) until the meringue is lightly browned on top, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Serve garnished with lime slices.