The word “Brain drain” usually means the loss of skilled intellectual and technical labor through the movement of such labor to more favorable geographic location… Another way of saying it is the emigration of highly trained or intelligent people from a country or other place.
This is NOT the type of brain drain I am referring to but instead the WEARINESS that comes from the over stimulation and saturation of the brain that makes one tired, “couch potatoes” and unproductive. Let’s take a part of that definition…the “highly intelligent” people part….and ask a question:
Why do highly intelligent people allow onslaught of mass media…talk shows …discussions…so-called comments on issues to permeate their thinking day in and day out with no relief? I am guilty and think it is time to put a stop to it!
The mind is a wonderful, creative part of us and it is being invaded. What do I mean? We are being saturated which means “Act or process of soaking, filling, or loading to the utmost.” Yes, we are being overloaded and our hearts and brains have had it!
Take a look at the word “drain” only. A gradual depletion of energy or resource. I think this hits what is happening to all of us square on the head…for it is a gradual depletion. That is the insidious part because we may not really be aware that it is happening. Our brain drain proceeds harmfully without being noticed!
All of this has been said because a change must happen if we are to stop this process. Here are some suggestions that may take a few days to adapt:
- Decide that you will turn off the TV with all the comments, discussions, latest opinions
- Turn on some beautiful music, whether it is classical, contemporary or jazz
- Do something creative like painting or woodworking
- Go outside and look at the newest flower in your garden or the freshness of green grass ; listen to the birds; look for something new that you have not seen before in God’s creation.
- Call a friend for lunch…and determine to not talk about the latest issues that are causing brain drain.
- Read a good book. My husband loves mysteries.
- Get out that musical instrument you used to play or brush up on your piano talents.
- Just have fun!
All of this seems simple, but it takes determination. Frankly, I am extremely tired of hearing people giving opinions or even shouting their opinions at one another. My brain is truly drained. How about you?
JUST TO GET US STARTED on eliminating the drain. Enjoy the video below….something with a little flair.