UKRAINE HAS BEEN DEFENDING ITSELF FROM RUSSIANS FOR YEARS. IN THIS WAR, THERE IS MORE TO LOSE ALONG WITH THEIR LIVES AND PROPERTY…THEIR HERITAGE.
The churches and monasteries of Kyiv
Here are some of the churches that we will see on our video today…and one that I was able to visit when I was teaching in Ukraine. If Kyiv will be destroyed, as other Ukrainian cities have been by Putin’s weapons of war, this is what they and the world has to lose. After their independence, Ukraine restored much of the damage that these churches endured at the hands of the Soviets.
- ST. VOLOCLYMYR One of the newest churches…beautiful art work with paintings and frescos of when Christianity was first brought to Ukraine.
- ST. CYRIL’S…12th century One of the oldest churches located near a hospital. It is now a museum.
- ST MICHAEL’S GOLDEN DOMED MONASTERY…12 century…1930 blown up by Soviets, wanting to build a statue of Lenin…Clergy refused to open doors to police and made a hospital inside for wounded protesters. There are also portraits in this monastery of those who died defending Ukraine from the Soviets.
- KYIV PERCHERSK LAVRA Built in the 11th century, one of the oldest and was demolished in WWII, but restored by Independent Ukraine. It was 1,000 years old.
- ST. SOPHIA’S Also 1,000 years old. Known for its frescos and is a World Heritage Site. It has a bell tower.
Olena Gnes, our tour guide on this video, may be one of the fleeing millions of Ukrainians…along with her children, who were baptized in one of Ukraine’s beautiful churches. She will bring my readers into some of the greatest prizes of Kyiv and surrounding areas. We pray that she is safe.
Turn on sound: