The truth of the butterfly is much like the truth of the Christian new birth. There was a time in my life when my senses about God and His Son were as dormant as it is in a caterpillar that doesn’t know it is to become something designed by God. Many Christians have this feeling.
The fact is that very caterpillar has to die before it can become a butterfly. The same is true with our old life.
Science tells us: “In order to be able to become a butterfly, the caterpillar has to fall apart completely, decompose down to its very essence, devoid of any shape or consciousness. It literally dies. There is nothing left of it. And from this liquid essence, the butterfly starts to put itself together, from scratch.”
There are many different caterpillars that make a unique type of butterfly in color and design.
People are also different. God will take our special personalities and use us how He chooses. His plan is to take your life and mine and make us in his honor. Just as the butterfly, He unfolds a new life in us. The old life will pass away, like that of the caterpillar. God’s goal is to make every Christian’s life more beautiful than could ever be imagined. The butterfly is our example.
Will the butterflies of various colors be with us forever?
A German study gives some difficult news of fewer butterflies than ever before…down by two thirds:
“Our study emphasizes the negative impact of the conventional, industrialized agriculture on the butterfly diversity and shows the urgent need for ecologically sustainable cultivation methods. Additional field studies may aid in identifying individual factors responsible for the insect die-back and in implementing appropriate countermeasures,” (Science Daily).
It is difficult to think that such beauty could someday be extinct from the earth, as have many of God’s other creatures.
Will the Christian be always on the earth to see it through rough times?
Apparently not, for God has promised the most beautiful place that He is preparing for us. When this will happen, we do not know. We are only told to watch and be ready. We are not promised, however, that we will not go through horrific times on earth before Christ’s coming. We are only promised that He will be with us and courage will be ours.
“But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” Matthew 24:36
Can we imagine that all the perfect parts of nature will be in this new, heavenly place that God is preparing? We will also be joined by those we have loved on earth…including our beloved pets. We are told also the lion will lay down with the lamb in perfect harmony.
I can only imagine the heavenly gardens with all the colorful butterflies that only heaven can produce! A new heaven…and this new earth made perfect by God with no more sin, fighting, or tears.
As scientists warn about global changes, the Holy Scriptures also gives fore-warnings about the ways of the world. We are not to be caught unaware… as we watch our earth decline…scientifically and within the lives and actions of people and nations world-wide.
“Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever” (1 John 2:15-17; NIV).
“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect” (Romans 12:22; ESV).
God’s promise about heaven and earth to John in a vision on the Greek Island of Patmos, is recorded in Revelation 21:1-6
“Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life.
To the Butterflies…Thank you for your lesson of life to us.
Video: Background music for your special pleasure. Turn up sound.
The TV has been buzzing with the news that the city of Jacksonville, Florida, USA and others have opened their beaches for certain hours after the complete shut-down due to the Coronavirus. People were asked to “social distance” and to “not group together.” After weeks of confinement and lost jobs and businesses, people took to the beaches like they had been caged animals. This could tell us something about the need to socialize…the need for fresh air and the beauty of nature. It could also tell us that we Americans really don’t like to be told what to do…even if it is for our own good.
This was evident, when groups of people went out in different cities to protest the “stay at home” mandate. Their main goal was to get America back up and running again so they could go back to work and feed their families, pay their mortgage or car payments. Nevertheless, most didn’t adhere to wearing a mask in public, as asked to do. They crowded together while they shouted their demands with little concern for their own health or welfare of others. They were willing to “take a chance.”
Americans like their freedom of speech and nothing is being said against that, but one would hope that there would be, along with the speech, common sense, dedicated carefulness, and a little less selfishness toward others. Nonetheless, “taking a chance” is part of the indiscriminate, so-called invincible young. “What could possibly hurt us?” they may be thinking. “Doesn’t that apply to the elderly or those sick? Hey, we work out! Even during the stay at home rule, we jogged miles each day. So, we’ll take our chances.”
Let’s just say, it is the American way…for life, sickness or death. The roots go back to the American Revolution, when we fought for independence and government control from England. Just as the people of Hong Kong are standing their ground against Communist dictatorship and oppression, Americans don’t sit still too long…for good or for bad. It is of great concern when a mayor or governor begins to tell the people to watch out for their neighbor and “report” any violation of the coronavirus mandates set up for general guidelines. Would we sit still for that kind of instruction?
It reminds me of the time I visited a place in Poland. I had taken American students to Europe under President Eisenhower’s program, Student Ambassadors. As we entered this large house that had been divided up into small apartments when the Communist took over, an older woman was peering out a small window in her door. I asked about this to our guide. She said, “Oh she is a left-over from the old Communist days when her duty was to report who was coming or going! She still thinks she has to keep watch.” Are we slowly moving in that direction in our country…or our world? This is certainly a chilling thought.
Unlike the protester holding the sign above, we know the Coronavirus is real and not imagined. That is most evident by the sickened and deaths. Life, however, is full of taking risks. The protester is taking his own risks. We make decisions everyday that will turn out for the good or the bad in our lives. This is what personal freedom is all about. Whether our government gives advice for personal protection, or family, friend or neighbor weighs in, it is still up to us to govern our activities. Some things will kill us. Our decisions might be made out of fear, which may kill us mentally and emotionally. Most people are like herds of sheep. They follow what others may be doing instead of thinking what is best for themselves or their family members not old enough to make decisions on their own.
What to do? Pray…be rational…act carefully…be considerate of others and yourself may be a few suggestions. As I contemplate on the famous words of President Roosevelt, “We have nothing to fear, but fear itself,” I believe he was right to warn the American people of this dilemma…FEAR.
The Holy Scriptures tells us in 2 Timothy 1:7:
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind
Power is a word that we don’t often associate with ourselves. We think of powerful people in business or industry…or in the political realm. You are powerful over more things than you may imagine…your health, finances, professional choices, love relationships and more. This verse says God has given you power.
We have been told recently that many people are dying from the coronavirus because of their underlying health reasons. These may have been related to overweight, diabetes, heart-disease, drug addiction etc. which have put them in a weaken state. In many of these cases, it was personal choices to not care for their health which they could have had power to correct. In other cases, it was lack of proper nutrition.
Have you ever heard people say that God is punishing us with disease and our lives as a world or nation? I really cringe when I hear these comments because God is a God of love and concern for His creation…including men and women. He will not interfere in our own decisions , whether it is from lack of knowledge or carelessness.
Our world has a natural science…in our environment and our personal lives. If we eat too much, we get fat. If we ignore safety rules, we have accidents. Behind the obesity comes the health problems. We also learned about our own power through other tragedies, such as the Great Dust Bowl of 1930’s. Men had power to do the right thing for the land, but did not understand science or did not look into the consequences of their actions. In either case, the results were financial ruin and the spread of disease.
The Dust Bowl was not only one of the worst droughts in United States history, but is generally thought of as the worst and most prolonged disaster in American history…The prolonged drought was made much worse by a fundamental misunderstanding of high plains environment, and the utilization of methods which called for a thin layer of dust to be purposefully exposed on the surface for large parts of the summer. Dust transmits influenza virus and measles and combined with the economic depression, the Dust Bowl period brought a significant increase in the number of measles cases, respiratory disorders and increased infant and overall mortality in the plains. 11
God has given us love..from Himself and for each other. When difficulty comes, we find out what we are made of because we strike back at fear. The medical teams and first responders who move around the sick and dying are showing God’s love whether they realize it or not. Some may say, “It is my job.” Even here, a person could decide that taking the risk of their own lives is not for them and walk away from the challenge. They could turn their backs on the years they had put into preparing for their profession because of fear. Most do not.
The neighbor who reaches out to those needing help during the crisis is showing, not fear, but love…God’s love. We know that we are His Hands…and we are His Face of encouragement.
To have a sound mind is also to have self-control, which has its origin from a Greek word:
The Greek word for self-control is sōphronismos, which means “saving the mind” or “moderation”. Since the word SELF-CONTROL contains the word “self”, I am quick to interpret this to mean something I have to do. However, within the context of verse 7 of Timothy, we see that “God gave us a spirit of…self-control.” 12
We, then can depend upon God to give us these three things instead of fear, Power, Love, and a Sound Mind. It is His promise to you and me when we trust Him now and in the future. It is more than “Taking a Chance,” it is FAITH and good sense.
(This writing was taken from the book, Faith and the Pandemic by N.W. Boyer to be released soon by Amazon.)
FDR’s 1st Inauguration Address…A Voice from the Past, after the Great Depression… A message appropriate for TODAY. (From HistoryMatters.com The full text and a 3 minute portion of the speech. Roosevelt’s Speech
Eternity is a word without a real meaning. If we look it up, the closest definition would be something like this: “…a state to which time has no application; timelessness.” The simple words would be “forever and forever” which is definitely difficult to understand.
Almost all religions have a belief in an eternity. Some think that they have to work for it. Others believe that it is a gift of God, through His Son Jesus Christ. Another faith thinks that life just begins again and they hope that they will return as a more elevated human and not one of the lowly animals or insects. The whole concept is so broad and “endless” that the mind cannot comprehend. The question then is whether we should even be concerned about something in which we do not have a real answer? I think so. We plan ahead for many things: Our wedding day, our place of residence, our finances, our grave-site…but why not think about the eternal? Somehow I think it should be thoughts of joy instead of foreboding…especially when we have had loved ones who have gone before us.
We know we were born. We also know that we will all die eventually. Our love for each other draws a great well of desire to want to see each other again in eternity. Do we have the perfect answer to eternity…no…not in ourselves, but yes, in the Holy Scriptures we have promises. We are told, “...to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.” (2nd Corinthians 5:8) That verse alone should give us great hope. We are promised a resurrection of the body, just as Christ was resurrected. When I decided on cremation after death, my thought was to wonder how all of those dust pieces were going to be put back together. How juvenile a thought was that! If He can sling the stars into orbit and match up molecules, He will have no trouble with the resurrection!
As a Christian, I believe in eternity. It may be hard for an atheist who thinks when one dies it is the end of everything, but I have always felt that if there could possibly be any truth in this belief, I would have lived a happier life because of my own joy in believing in God and the comfort it has given me. How sad and morbid to believe that there is no one who will enjoy eternity with the Maker of our most glorious universe. Those who have had a near-death experience recall a wonderful feeling of love. They speak of seeing someone that appears to be God waiting for them in a bright light. According to some records, surprisingly, 75% of those thinking they were dying as atheists have told of this same experience.
Recently, I saw a special on the amazing new parts of the universe that have only been identified by the most powerful telescope sent into space. The most familiar and powerful so far has been the Hubble Space Telescope. Nevertheless, there is “a new kid” in the making.
The newest and most powerful telescope is the James Webb Space Telescope. It is to be the successor to the Hubble telescope and will be launched in 2021. Here are a few facts concerning the future launching:
The James Webb Space Telescope will be launched on an Ariane 5 rocket. The launch vehicle is part of the European contribution to the mission. The Ariane 5 is one of the world’s most reliable launch vehicles capable of delivering Webb to its destination in space. The European Space Agency (ESA) has agreed to provide an Ariane 5 launcher and associated launch services to NASA for Webb. (Nasa)
Why do I digress from writing about eternity to telescopes? It is with delight that I think those who are experiencing their eternity are having a perfect understanding of the formation of the universe and all there is on other planets. If there is life on other worlds, our loved ones would have the joy of knowing this. (Forget about the Hollywood version of the “little green man with a pointed head.”)
Thinking of the possibilities makes “eternity” seen a little shorter than “forever”…mainly because it would take forever to know all there is to know, which is impossible without the mind of God. Could it be that He will provide His mind for us to know and understand all these glories, that we have only slightly seen through the telescope, and be able to experience the glories for eternity?
(A side-thought: I can’t imagine that we will be going from planet to planet as on some fast-moving whirlwind because the Scriptures also says that there will be a place of peace. He promises that the lion will lay down with the lamb. Could that mean that at the Savior’s return to earth that He will also bring those with Him who have died and bring absolute peace onto a new earth? )
And the wolf will dwell with the lamb, and the leopard will lie down with the kid, and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little boy will lead them. Isaiah 11:6 (NASB)
Jesus also prayed a prayer to his Father in Heaven, who made the universe that He wanted us to know the glories of the universe: “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.” (John 17:24)
Regardless of what eternity may mean, we will draw our last breath and then we will know it all. TO GOD BE THE GLORY
VIDEO (Turn on sound)
Perhaps you missed the arrival of Moke at the Smithsonian Zoo in Washington, D.C. Who is Moke, you may ask, and why is this birth important?
Western lowland gorillas are critically endangered with only an estimated 100,000 left. Calaya, a western lowland gorilla, who has just given birth to her first offspring, a male named Moke, at the Smithsonian National Zoo in Washington, DC. The arrival of Moke, which means “junior” or “little one” in the Lingala language of Africa, is the zoo’s first such gorilla birth in nine years. (Credit BBC news…Smithsonian)
This is what we learned from two videos posted below. Be sure to watch both. In fact, I would recommend to gather around your young children and let them see the miracle of birth…for it should not be a mystery.
Video 1: History of Calaya and the silverback gorilla who is the father of Moke
Video 2: The actual birth of Moke
As I watched this birth video, it was impressive to see her so gently clean her newborn and tenderly lay it in the hay. It appears that she will be a good mother.
We wish the new mother, Calaya, and her new baby, Moke, the best of health and long life.
When we are in Virginia, we receive an email telling us when the Space Station will be flying over our home and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Because we have no street lights, it is quite clear and the Station can be seen moving on the path above our heads.
The video I’m sharing with my readers today shows a working relationship between the U.S., Russia and Japanese astronauts. It is a good thing that they are professionals and want to do their work and experiments without political interruption. Hope you enjoy this as much as I did.
The tour of the Space Station is given by Sunita Pandya Williams, an American astronaut and U.S. Navy officer of Indo-Slovenian descent. She formerly held the records for total spacewalks by a woman (seven) and most spacewalk time for a woman (50 hours, 40 minutes). Sunita was assigned to the International Space Station as a member of Expeditions 14 and 15. In 2012, she served as a flight engineer on Expedition 32 and then commander of Expedition 33. (Wikipedia)
Thank you, Sunita Williams, for your great tour. As we watch from the ground, we know better what the crews in the Space Station are experiencing amid the stars. Long live international cooperation!
VIDEO (Turn up sound)
UPDATE: THE ECLIPSE CAME AND WENT. BELOW IS HOW WE IN THE USA PREPARED FOR IT. THE VIDEO HERE IS HOW ONE TOWN IN NORTH CAROLINA HAD FUN WITH IT. ENJOY!
You may be saying to yourself, “Yes, the total eclipse is an exciting event…but what’s all the commotion about it?”
Well, I thought the same thing until I read an article by space.com. The practical side of the event was something I had not thought of…so here goes to all my readers who may be faithfully waiting or those who may be caught unawares at the exact moment on August 21st. If you live in the US and miss this event, you’ll have to wait 7 more years, until April 8, 2024, to see a total solar eclipse from a location in the contiguous United States.
If you are lucky to live between Oregon and South Carolina this year, you will be viewing the eclipse in the most narrow path of the totality. Others in the U.S and outside the U.S will still have a view, but only a partial eclipse.
Here are some things that I learned from the article mentioned:
- There will be big traffic jams heading toward the most direct path in the U.S.A…perhaps millions of visitors from all over the world. We know what a minor accident on an interstate can do to your wait time. Should you be out in traffic (not advised… if possible stay put) at the moment of the eclipse, you may need the following because of traffic: FULL tank of gas, snacks, something to entertain children (and don’t forget they need eye protection when watching) etc. etc.
- You need SPECIAL, APPROVED GLASSES to view the eclipse. ..or you may cause great damage or blindness to your eyes. Not all glasses will help you…certainly not regular sun glasses. They must meet the ISO 12312-2 international safety standard.
- If you are looking for the approved standard and not a fake, “Purchase a pair from one of the manufacturers or vendors that have been approved by the American Astronomical Society.” They must be rated 14 or higher. This includes any sales online. (Click here to see the vendors) (We plan to buy ours from Lowe’s Hardware since Lowes is practically my husband’s second home.)
This is a list of times that you can see the total eclipse in its duration on August 21…that is if you live in these cities in the U.S.A. (for 100 cities across the USA)
|Location||Partial Eclipse Begins||Sun Completely Obscured|
|Salem, OR||09:05 am PDT||10:18 am PDT|
|Idaho Falls, ID||10:15 am MDT||11:33 am MDT|
|Casper, WY||10:22 am MDT||11:43 am MDT|
|Lincoln, NE||11:37 am CDT||1:03 pm CDT|
|Sabetha, KS||11:38 am CDT||1:05 pm CDT|
|Jefferson City, MO||11:46 am CDT||1:14 pm CDT|
|Carbondale, IL||11:52 am CDT||1:21 pm CDT|
|Hopkinsville, KY||11:56 am CDT||1:25 pm CDT|
|Nashville, TN||11:58 am CDT||1:28 pm CDT|
|Talulah Falls, GA||1:07 pm EDT||2:37 pm EDT|
|Columbia, SC||1:13 pm EDT||2:43 pm EDT|
|Charleston, SC||1:16 pm EDT||2:47 pm EDT|
You may want to gather your children or grandchildren around your computer and explain exactly what is happening when a total eclipse occurs. Throughout the centuries the ignorance and lack of understanding science caused many fears and tales of dome and hysteria. A blogger acquaintance of mine in England has written an interesting blog on this subject. ( See Stephen Liddell’s blog )
HAPPY VIEWING to ALL from Boyer Writes
Video showing pattern world wide..click the lower arrow if doesn’t start.
For all you bird lovers…the elegant, bald eagles that we watched hatch and raise their two young eagles last year, now have another two eggs. My cousin, Kay, who lives in the VA-Washington area, informed me this morning about this new event. Below is the link to a live view of the eagles. Enjoy!
“Mr. President and The First Lady (Eagles) now have two eggs!!! Incubation to be around 32 days! Live cam up and running:” CLICK HERE http://www.dceaglecam.org/ You can choose A or B when watching and for best viewing, enlarge screen.
It was three in the morning. As I looked out the window onto a dark mountain whose tiny night lights shined in the valley, I saw something spectacular. It was the heavens above…not the earth below. There are no street lights in the mountains to interfere with the glory of the heavens that a cold night reveals….millions of stars and planets. It certainly puts one into a more realistic perspective. Problems seem to disappear…and one has to truly wonder with the writers of the Scriptures, “What is man that You are mindful of him.” If God is big enough to make all this and still see the sparrow when it falls, then He can take care of me. I think of my Mother who passed away at 93 and wonder what she is experiencing in this great universe. Truly the Heavens declare the Glory of God.
One may ask, “How do I know there is a real God and how can I know that He knows and loves me?” This video may help you with that answer. Produced by outstanding scientific minds who know faith, this is truly a beautiful view of our world and universe.
Turn on sound
God’s plan for creation is more than the mind can handle. That is because we do not have the mind of God. Only the Holy Scriptures explains it for us…at least to some degree. We were wonderfully made…every tiny part….as is the universe in its vastness.
Notice that the words below says that after the creation of man and woman, “He blessed them.” We really have no idea how much we are blessed and how grateful we should be. As we leave this life and depart to the great beyond there will more than enough to be shown to us for eternity.
If you have had someone you love pass away, as I have, it is comforting to think of them being shown by God the Father and the Son the secrets of the universe. How wonderful and exciting that must be. ( See video at the end for the full meaning of this blog.)
The Holy Scriptures Genesis 1:3 -31
- Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.
- God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness.
- God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.
- Then God said, “Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.”
- God made the expanse, and separated the waters which were below the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse; and it was so.
- God called the expanse heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.
- Then God said, “Let the waters below the heavens be gathered into one place, and let the dry land appear”; and it was so.
- God called the dry land earth, and the gathering of the waters He called seas; and God saw that it was good.
- Then God said, “Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit after their kind with seed in them”; and it was so.
- The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed after their kind, and trees bearing fruit with seed in them, after their kind; and God saw that it was good.
- There was evening and there was morning, a third day.
- Then God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years;
- and let them be for lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so.
- God made the two great lights, the greater light to govern the day, and the lesser light to govern the night; He made the stars also.
- God placed them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth,
- and to govern the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness; and God saw that it was good.
- There was evening and there was morning, a fourth day.
- Then God said, “Let the waters teem with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth in the open expanse of the heavens.”
- God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarmed after their kind, and every winged bird after its kind; and God saw that it was good.
- God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.”
- There was evening and there was morning, a fifth day.
- Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures after their kind: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth after their kind”; and it was so.
- God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creeps on the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good.
- Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
- God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
- God blessed them; and God said to them, “ Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
- Then God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you;
- and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food”; and it was so.
- God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.”
VIEW VIDEO and be AMAZED (turn sound low and click off of any advertisements that pop up on video. Unfortunate that you will see them.)
From July until August 23, 2016 the heavens will show the Glory of God. Don’t miss it. (Pictures of the meteor showers of 2013 are shown here.)
- It may be time to direct our thoughts and eyes toward the heavens and away from our phones and televisions. August 12, 2016 should be the best date when most meteors are visible. You are advised that sometime between 11pm and midnight is the best time and give your eyes about 30 minutes to adjust. Look toward the northeast. Meteor Shower..How to See.
- The glories of the heavens are beyond description. The music of Haydn’s The Heavens Are Telling the Glory of God gives us two joys….sight and sound!
In the scheme of things, we are most small. I thought of this as I watched the early morning sky for the meteor showers predicted to occur this day. Perhaps you were watching also from a dark part of your yard….or in a fancy observatory like this one at right. Of course you were!
How vulnerable we are. Everything seems so far away. Yet, these words were read just a few days ago:
” A small asteroid that exploded over the San Francisco Bay Area on Oct. 17th, shaking houses with its sonic boom, might have scattered pieces of itself on the ground. That’s the conclusion of Peter Jenniskens of the NASA Ame Research Center.”
One never knows what may fall out of the sky from this vast universe where we live. Our lives are in His Hands and we hope the Hands are friendly. None the less, we gaze with amazement at what we don’t really understand completely. We ask the questions of millions throughout the ages:
What is out there? Are our loved ones that have left this life enjoying the mysteries of the universe? Will God take us by the hand and show us everything He has created? How really big is space?
Enough of my thoughts. Looking at my clock, it is 3:53 am. Everyone is asleep in my house except me. It is probably time to go back on the balcony and see if there is any movement in the sky. After all, there is much more to enjoy….more than politics which at this time we are all consumed with here in the USA. What a relief to know that when every vote is counted, the sky will not have completely fallen and life will continue.
This Sunday morning, it would be good also to hear something that reminds us of God’s creation. The Heavens are Telling…..
Just in case you are a sleepy head that could not think of being up at pre-dawn, this is what it was all about, ( If you are now listening to the music video, you can also click on the video below and hear both at the same time. Enjoy. )
Boyer Writes is paying tribute to a scientist that worked tirelessly to find cures that effect all of our lives today. Dr. Emil Adolf Behring was up against difficulties of the times, as well as the patience of his medical superiors. Funds were limited to do his research. Yet, year after year he stayed with it until he had the results and the honor of scientific development that changed the world. Our hats off also to those who continue tirelessly today to find the cure for AIDS, Alzheimer’s disease and cancers of all types.
Because we are vaccinated as children and the diseases such as diphtheria are little known to most in the modern world, it may be good to describe here something about this particular disease that these men of science helped eradicate.
Diphtheria is a highly contagious and life-threatening infection caused by bacteria. The infection most commonly attacks the mucus membranes associated with the breathing system (the tonsils, throat, and nose) and can also infect the skin. In addition, some types of the bacteria can cause damage to the heart, nerves, kidneys, and brain.
The vaccine for diphtheria is safe and is very effective at preventing the disease. A series of shots are given during childhood, then booster shots are required every ten years to keep the immunity strong.
Before vaccines and medications were available to prevent and treat the disease, nearly one out of ten people died. Diphtheria was the leading cause of death among children.
Biography: Emil Adolf Behring
- Born in Germany on March 15, 1854
- He was the eldest son of a schoolmaster and had 12 brothers and sisters.
- In 1874, he entered the well-known Army Medical College at Berlin. This made his studies financially practicable but also carried the obligation to stay in military service for several years after he had taken his medical degree (1878) and passed his State Examination (1880).
- He was then sent to Wohlau and Posen in Poland at the Department of the Experimental Station where there were studies connected with septic diseases.
- In the years 1881-1883, he carried out important investigations on the action of iodoform, stating that it does not kill microbes but may neutralize the poisons; thus being antitoxic.
- His first publications on these questions appeared in 1882. The governing body concerned with military health was interested in the prevention and combating of epidemics.
- Behring, studied further with pharmacologist C. Binz at Bonn in experimental methods.
- In 1888, he was ordered back to Berlin where he worked as an assistant at the Institute of Hygiene under Robert Koch. He followed Koch when the latter moved to the Institute for Infectious Diseases. This appointment brought him into close association, not only with Koch, but also with P. Ehrlich, who joined, in 1890, the brilliant team of workers Koch had gathered round him.
- In 1894 Behring became Professor of Hygiene at Halle. The following year he moved to the corresponding chair at Marburg.
- Behring’s most important researches were bound up with the epoch-making work of Pasteur, Kock, Ehrlich, Löffler, Roux, Yersin and others, which led the foundation of our modern knowledge of the immunology of bacterial diseases.
- During the years 1888-1890 E. Roux and A. Yersin, working at the Pasteur Institute in Paris, had shown that filtrates of diphtheria cultures which contained no bacilli, contained a substance which they called a toxin, that produced, when injected into animals, all the symptoms of diphtheria. (See below picture of Pasteur Institute in Paris.)
- In 1890, L. Brieger and C. Fraenkel prepared, from cultures of diphtheria bacilli, a toxic substance, which they called toxalbumin, which when injected in suitable doses into guinea-pigs, immunized these animals to diphtheria.
- Starting from his observations on the action of iodoform, Behring tried to find whether a disinfection of the living organism might be obtained if animals were injected with material that had been treated with various disinfectants.
- All the experiments were performed with diphtheria and with tetanus bacilli. They led to the well-known development of a new kind of therapy for these two diseases.
- In 1890 Behring and S. Kitasato published their discovery that graduated doses of sterilised brothcultures of diphtheria or of tetanus bacilli caused the animals to produce, in their blood, substances which could neutralize the toxins which these bacilli produced (antitoxins).
- They also showed that the antitoxins thus produced by one animal could immunize another animal and that it could cure an animal actually showing symptoms of diphtheria. This great discovery was soon confirmed and successfully used by other workers.
- Earlier in 1898, Behring and F. Wernicke had found that immunity to diphtheria could be produced by the injection into animals of diphtheria toxin neutralized by diphtheria antitoxin.
- In 1907 Theobald Smith had suggested that such toxin-antitoxin mixtures might be used to immunize man against this disease. It was Behring, however, who announced, in 1913, his production of a mixture of this kind, and subsequent work which modified and refined the mixture originally produced by Behring resulted in the modern methods of immunization which have largely banished diphtheria from the scourges of mankind.
- Behring himself saw in his production of this toxin-antitoxin mixture the possibility of the final eradication of diphtheria; and he regarded this part of his efforts as the crowning success of his life’s work.
- Numerous distinctions were conferred upon Behring. Already in 1893 the title of Professor was conferred upon him, and two years later he became «Geheimer Medizinalrat» and officer of the French Legion of Honour.
- Behring died at Marburg on March 31, 1917.
Trailer from The Magic Bullet (Turn up sound)
Footnote:The Pasteur Institute in Paris was founded in 1887. It has been in the forefront of the battle against infectious disease. It was the first to isolate HIV, the virus that causes AIDS (1983). Besides the diseases mentioned in the writing above, it worked on control of poliomyelitis, influenza, yellow fever, and plague. Since 1908, eight Pasteur Institute scientists have been awarded the Nobel Prize for medicine and physiology.
My husband and I took our dog, Gracie, and walked by the lake to observe the Super Moon on Saturday, March 19. It slowly rose in all it’s glory on the horizon….bright orange with a ripple of color over the water. This night the Moon was a Super Moon.
- “The “Super Moon” will pass by Earth at a distance of 221,567 miles – the closest pass in 18 years . It is known as lunar perigee and a normal lunar perigee averaging a distance of 226,425 miles happens once every orbital period. This occurs with the Moon at or near (within 90% of) its closest approach to Earth (perigee) in a given orbit.
- Earth, Moon and Sun are all in a line, with Moon in its nearest approach to Earth. When a full moon rises while it’s at apogee, the disk we see will be brighter and larger.
- __________The moon is not round (or spherical). Instead, it’s shaped like an egg. If you go outside and look up at the moon, one of the small ends is pointing right at you. And the moon’s center of mass is not at the geometric center of the satellite; it’s about 1.2 miles (2 kilometers) off-center. Earth, likewise, bulges in its midsection.
- When the moon is closest to Earth (called its perigee), spring tides are even
higher, and they’re called perigean spring tides. Some of Earth’s rotational energy is stolen by the moon, causing our planet to slow down by about 1.5 milliseconds every century.
- Each day, though not at the same time, the moon comes up in the East and goes down in the West — much like the sun and other stars and for the same reason Earth rotates, on its axis, toward the East, pulling celestial objects into view and then forcing them to slip away. The moon also makes an orbital trip around Earth once every 29.5 days.
Beethoven must have looked up into the night sky and was inspired to composed his great work.
Truly, God has blessed earth with the glory of the moon. (See video below)
At Advent we think of the coming of Christ. The men from the East began the journey to the Christ child as they were guided by the stars…and one in particular. Christ is called the “Bright and Morning Star.” When we consider the heavens and the power of the Universe, we are amazed at the majesty. The Advent of Christ is also a look forward to His second coming. We are told we will see him coming in the sky with His angels.
Advent Prayer Thank you, Father, for the coming of Your Son. As we think of your vast universe, we give you thanks for the mysteries that are beyond our vision or knowledge. We ask for Your peace this day.
Below is a video to consider quietly.
Just recently, we heard that Ahmadinejad has sent an old Iranian curse to the leaders of the United States. The curse is reserved for the worst of enemies.
I wonder if he knows this one: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits!
A little history and science: There are nearly 2,400 species and subspecies of fleas. The Oriental rat flea and the European rat flea can transmit diseases from infected rats to humans. These diseases include bubonic plague—the “Black Death” of the 14th century—and murine typhus, which was common in the southeastern United States during 1944-50.
Should we say more, Mr. Ahmadinejad? Ah, peace, peace and there is no peace.
SPECIAL NOTE by the author: This blog has received the most hits worldwide than any of my other blogs, which may say something about the fascination that people have for history and the unknown facts of history. People have commented that their relatives were somehow connected with General Hans Kammler, but can not prove such claims. Readers have argued back and forth concerning their claims…as I receive an email each time they comment. What it matters all in all these many years later is probably of little consequence in that most of the criminals of the Nazi era are dying off even if they did escape the punishments that was due them. Regardless, the speculation goes on….and readers enjoy the mystery. Thanks for reading and wondering.
As the Russians were approaching and the Germans knew the war was lost, the project that was to be a great defeat to the Allies was in danger of falling in the hands of the free world. No one was to know the secrets of the anti-gravity machine that was being tested. To be certain of this Gen. Kammler had a number of his top-ranking scientists put to death. They were not going to tell anyone anything that had been discovered.
Who was Gen. Kammler?
General Dr Hans Friedrich Karl Franz Kammler was an engineer and high-ranking officer of the SS in Nazi Germany. He oversaw SS construction projects and was put in charge of the V-2 missile program. Kammler was born in Stettin, Germany. Rising to at least 3rd in seniority within the 3rd Reich, Hitler put him, as a civil engineer, in charge of a very important project. Years later, it has been suggested that Hans Kammler had possibly been part of the American strategy known as Paper Clip.
Operation Paperclip was the OSS program (Office of Strategic Service) to recruit German scientists to work in American science programs. It seemed a strange thing that at the Nuremberg Trials, almost no mention was made of Kammler. He was also charged with constructing facilities for various secret weapons projects such as the Messerschmitt Me 262 and V- 2 rocket. It is also certain he constructed concentration camps and crematorium. It is known that he visited Auschwitz with Himmler. Perhaps this was to see if his construction of a death facility was working properly.
He was married with children. He called himself a Gottgläubiger or one who broke away from Christianity. Did he die in 1945 as some believe? If he died, there are about four possibilities of how that could have occurred.
- That he committed suicide with a cyanide capsule on 7 May, 1945.
- That he shot himself in the head on 9 May, 1945.
- That he asked his aide Zeuner to shoot him.
- That the Soviets executed Kammler along with 200 other SS soldiers
Others do not believe that he died and perhaps went with other Nazi soldiers into seclusion in South America. One thing is definite. The Bell and Kammler disappeared…
Special Note: If you would like to order my historical fiction book that brings a story of suspense and drama to the possibility of where Hans Kammler may have hidden, click this link to my book entitled The Seeds. Click this link
Have you always thought that what goes up must come down?
It seems that for decades scientists have worked on a machine that will defy gravity. Hitler thought his scientists had found it when they worked on the Bell Project. He was not beyond putting a number of scientists to death who knew the secrets to anti-gravity and could give them to the free world.
Do you wonder about the so-called flying saucers or UFO’s?
After World War II, were there secret experimentations with anti-gravity…and is it still being worked on today?
Watch the videos and make your own conclusion about the possibility.
Part of my Manuscript (The Seed, a historical fiction novel) deals with this phenomena.
- A video comparing The Bell with Avro Project Y2 giving some historical pictures
- A diagram on how the anti-gravity machine could be built . After viewing this, you may have science brain drain. Nevertheless, have fun and explore the possibilities.
Click below and then click for full screen for best viewing.
Thanks to an excellent story presented by 60 Minutes, . Gary Fowler of Tennessee is interviewed about his dream to build the Svalbard Global Seed Vault, better known as the “Doomsday Vault. Mr. Fowler, head of the Global Crop Diversity Trust, gives a tour and explains the reason for building the vault. The government of Norway built the facility; the UN guves some help, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation pays for the transport of the seeds.
An amazing part of his data research tells us that in the 1800’s in America there were 7,100 types of named apples. Today 6,800 of those are extinct. The saving of various varieties of foods in a seed bank of this type may keep the world from starvation in the event of a crisis.
Enjoy now an episode explaining the life work of the founder, Gary Fowler. Click here to view.
A new portrait of the Small Magellanic Cloud reveals our galactic neighbor in unprecedented detail. The picture, taken in infrared light by NASA’s Spitzer Space Telescope, is helping astronomers better understand the life cycle of dust in the galaxy.
Understanding where dust comes from, how it forms bodies such as planets, and how it gets dispersed in the spaces between objects can result in new insights into galaxy formation. And the Small Magellanic Cloud, a dwarf galaxy close to the Milky Way, is an analog for some of the tiny galaxies that first populated the universe. Taken from National Geographic via NASA January 6, 2010
See pictures other space pictures below and a video of outstanding space pictures and the planets. Turn on the sound and use wide screen for best viewing.
|Make a Smilebox slideshow|
A fellow blogger had this thought provoking video that I would like to share with you.
When we as humans take the elements that are in the earth and use them….we make a wonderful change to that element.
Dedicated to all scientists….artists…and thinkers.
Deep in the earth is La Cuervade de Los Cristales. It is located in Mexico. Only a few scientists and film crews have been allowed to go into this wonder of nature. They literally risk their lives because of the extreme cold and delicate structures. Yet, the research goes on to investigate how such a marvel of nature was formed. Click to see a short video that will give amazing views. Turn on sound and enlarge screen for best viewing.